Every Monday FilmSoc holds open committee meetings where you can join our exec team to help run the society.
In our Week 2 committee meeting, we offer a variety of roles new members can take on, including (but not limited to):
- House Managers- running our box office selling memberships and guest tickets
- Tech team members- projecting our films and carrying out the technical set-up for our quizzes
- Film booking officer- getting into contact with film distributors to book our screening licenses
- Website/Social Media managers- updating our website and social media outlets with posts about our events
- Front of House assistants- helping set up screenings and checking for memberships/tickets when letting people into our screenings and events
- Quiz team members- helping write rounds for and running our quizzes
- Socials team members- organising and running our social events, such as discussions and Reel Talks
- Societies Liaison officer- getting in contact with other societies about collaborating with FilmSoc
- Advertising team members- brainstorming and exploring new ways to promote our events
- DVD Acquisition officer- in charge of finding out which DVDs the society needs for screenings and acquiring ones we don’t already have
Committee is also where you can have your say in what films we show.
Starting later this semester, we will begin programming for semester two. We programme in three sections–new releases, classics (anything not new), and foreign language films.
All suggestions are welcome, with the exception of films we’ve screened in the last three years. Not only is it a great chance to get your favourite films on the programme, but it is a great chance to discover new films.
Why you should join
Getting involved in running our society makes your FilmSoc experience that much better.
For one, our roles offer you a great opportunity to build experience that can help you get a job. That’s right, a job.
Want to work at one of Edinburgh’s festivals next summer? Festival companies always look for box office, front of house, and technical assistants. FilmSoc offers opportunities in all three of these areas, which will look mighty fine on your CV when applying for these types of jobs.
Plus, if you’re interested in a placement with or volunteering for the Edinburgh International Film Festival, being involved in FilmSoc is great experience to have.
And if job prospects weren’t enough to convince you of why you should join our committee, how about making super awesome cool friends?
If you’re in your first year at Edinburgh, you may be taking classes with hundreds of people crammed into a lecture hall. Not such a great way to meet people, is it?
Societies give you the chance to meet people with similar interests, and our committee puts on many social events, including cinema trips, pub crawls, and our annual murder mystery. Might be biased in saying this, but we’re a fun group to hang around!
Our committee meetings take place every Monday at 7:30pm in the Munro Room, which is just next to the Theatre at Pleasance where we screen our Sunday films.
Hope to see you there!